Martes, Marso 3, 2015

THE LIFE WORTH LIVING

THE LIFE WORTH LIVING

LIFE IS TOO precious to lose.  This is why most of us do everything within our power to preserve it.  There are those who work very hard to provide for themselves the necessities of life and to find happiness and contentment in this world.

But while nothing is wrong with striving hard to keep and improve the present life, there are some who have become so preoccupied with it that they ended up losers instead.

To avoid such misfortune, it would help us to consider and ponder upon the teachings of the Bible about the present life and the other we can hope to attain at the right time and in the right way.

LIFE ON EARTH
Despite the defeats, failures, and sorrows that may go with life, it is still worth keeping and cherishing.  But the sad reality is that life will inevitably end:

“You know, O Lord, that we pass through life like exiles and strangers, as our ancestors did. Our days are like a passing shadow, and we cannot escape death. (I Chron. 29:15, Today’s English Version)

Like a passing shadow, life in this world is but fleeting.  Everything that we have achieved for the present life will only be left behind when we die.  In this sense, we become no better than grass or wild flowers that wither and fall:

“As the scripture says,

“All human beings are like grass,
    and all their glory is like wild flowers.
The grass withers, and the flowers fall.” (I Pt. 1:24, Ibid.)

In view of this, King Solomon, arguably the wisest, wealthiest, and most powerful King in his time, concluded:

“Then I thought about all that I had done and how hard I had worked doing it, and I realized that it didn't mean a thing. It was like chasing the wind—of no use at all.(Eccl. 2:11, Ibid.)

Solomon may well be considered a man who lived his life on earth to the fullest.  His long list of accomplishments include the great Israelite temple, plantations, vineyards, and irrigation systems.  Still, after having done these things, he considered them worthless because of life’s impermanence:

“I accomplished great things. I built myself houses and planted vineyards.  I planted gardens and orchards, with all kinds of fruit trees in them;  I dug ponds to irrigate them.  I bought many slaves, and there were slaves born in my household. I owned more livestock than anyone else who had ever lived in Jerusalem.  I also piled up silver and gold from the royal treasuries of the lands I ruled. Men and women sang to entertain me, and I had all the women a man could want.

“Yes, I was great, greater than anyone else who had ever lived in Jerusalem, and my wisdom never failed me.  Anything I wanted, I got. I did not deny myself any pleasure. I was proud of everything I had worked for, and all this was my reward.  Then I thought about all that I had done and how hard I had worked doing it, and I realized that it didn't mean a thing. It was like chasing the wind—of no use at all.(Eccl. 2:4-11, Ibid.)

The frailty of human life is a problem that no one in this world can solve.  In the end, man’s efforts for this life—even the  pursuit of earthly wisdom or knowledge—all boil down to nothing:

“No one remembers the wise, and no one remembers fools. In days to come, we will all be forgotten. We must all die—wise and foolish alike.(Eccl. 2:16, Ibid.)

LIFE ETERNAL
It does not mean, however, that we should be pessimistic about life.  This life can become truly meaningful if it is spent in such a way that we will be led to the other life that the Bible speaks of—the life that transcends all the imperfections of life at present.  Such life is what we should work much harder to achieve:

“ Do not work for food that spoils; instead, work for the food that lasts for eternal life. This is the food which the Son of Man will give you, because God, the Father, has put his mark of approval on him. (Jn. 6:27, Ibid.)

Unlike life in this world, life eternal is free of worries, pains, and sorrows.  It is unending:

“ He will wipe away all tears from their eyes. There will be no more death, no more grief or crying or pain. The old things have disappeared.(Rev. 21:4, Ibid.)

Our Lord Jesus Christ goes on to say that the joy that eternal life brings is permanent and cannot be taken or snatched away:

“That is how it is with you: now you are sad, but I will see you again, and your hearts will be filled with gladness, the kind of gladness that no one can take away from you. (Jn. 16:22, Ibid.)

Therefore, if we make every effort to keep the present life, all the more should we labor for the life that is in Christ.  In this way, we make our life in this world truly meaningful.

LIFE IN CHRIST
But how can we attain eternal life?  Apostle John says:

“And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.  (I Jn. 5:11-12, KJV.)

Life eternal is with our Lord Jesus Christ.  So, we cannot have eternal life apart from Christ.  So, how can we have Christ?  Whom does the Bible affirm as those who have the Son?  In Colossians 1:18, Apostle Paul says:

“He is the head of his body, the church. (TEV.)

To have Christ is to become a part of His body or to join His Church.  Not only do the members of the true Church have Christ as their head; He is also their Savior:

“For a husband has authority over his wife just as Christ has authority over the church; and Christ is himself the Savior of the church, his body. (Eph. 5:23, Ibid.)

As to which Church Christ had redeemed and will save, the apostles clarify:

“Take heed therefore to yourselves and to all the flock over which the Holy Spirit has appointed you overseers, to feed the church of Christ which he has purchased with his blood.(Acts 20:28, Lamsa Translation)

If we intend to make sense of our struggles in this life by ensuring our hope of receiving the everlasting life in Christ, then let us strive to serve God inside the true Church of Christ.  In this way, we make our earthly life truly worth living for.*

PAMPHLETS/PASUGO GOD’S MESSAGE/DECEMBER 2001/PAGES 21-22



We cordially invite you to our worship services.

.Bible Study Suggestion: If you have further questions, please feel free to visit the Iglesia ni Cristo congregation nearest you. A minister or an evangelical worker would be happy to answer any biblical question you have in mind.

IGLESIA NI CRISTO SITE